Covid-19 testing in Hong Kong can be done at community testing centres and mobile testing stations run by the government, approved private clinics/laboratories, at the airport, or conducted at home with free kits found at post offices and MTR stations. These testing providers usually conduct the highly sensitive RT-PCR test (colloquially called the PCR test) which is agreed by medical experts to deliver one of the most accurate Covid-19 diagnoses.
In general, testing is free for people under a compulsory testing order and workers required to get regular testing (e.g. staff of residential care homes and nursing homes, airport staff, construction workers, restaurant workers, teachers, quarantine hotel staff), while testing for private uses like travelling is charged. Find out where to get PCR tests and how much they cost in Hong Kong here.
Note: The information stated in this article is accurate at the time of publishing. For the latest location updates and prices, please refer to individual testing providers.
What is a RT-PCR test?
A Covid-19 RT-PCR test (short for Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction) is a diagnostic test which detects current infection of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19 illness. RT-PCR is a molecular test, which detects genetic material from the virus. A sample can be collected from a deep throat saliva sample or combined nose and throat swab.
Who should do the RT-PCR test?
The government recommends that individuals not exhibiting Covid-19 symptoms go to the following listed locations to get PCR testing. Individuals with symptoms should stay at home to conduct rapid antigen tests to avoid infecting others.
The following Community Testing Centres are currently open daily from 8am to 1:30pm and 2:30pm to 8pm (disinfection is carried out every day in the afternoon and evening). Visitors can make a booking online or walk in at certain locations. Compulsory testing is free of charge (e.g. individuals in buildings/districts given compulsory testing orders and post-quarantine travellers doing follow-up tests); otherwise, it costs HK$240.
- Quarry Bay Community Hall: 1 Greig Rd, Quarry Bay
- Leighton Hill Community Hall: 133 Wong Nai Chung Rd, Wan Chai
- Shek Tong Tsui Sports Centre: Shek Tong Tsui Municipal Services Building, 470 Queen’s Rd W, Sai Ying Pun
- Lei Tung Community Hall: Lei Tung Estate, Ap Lei Chau
- Henry G Leong Yaumatei Community Centre: 60 Public Square St, Yau Ma Tei
- Yau Tong Community Hall: 38 Ko Chiu Path, Yau Tong
- Pak Tin Community Hall: Pak Tin Community Complex, Pak Wan St, Sham Shui Po
- Tung Tau Community Centre: 26 Lok Sin Rd, Wong Tai Sin
- To Kwa Wan Sports Centre: 66 Ha Heung Rd, Kowloon City
- Ngau Tau Kok Road Sports Centre: Ngau Tau Kok Municipal Services Building, 183 Ngau Tau Kok Rd, Kwun Tong
- Lek Yuen Community Hall: Lek Yuen Estate, Sha Tin
- Yuen Long Town East Community Hall: 9 Long Yat Rd, Yuen Long
- Siu Lun Community Hall: 19 Siu Lun St, Tuen Mun
- Wo Hing Community Hall: 7 Wo Ming Ln, Fanling
- Lai King Community Hall: 205 Lai King Hill Rd, Kwai Chung
- Hang Hau Community Hall: 38 Pui Shing Rd, Hang Hau
- Wai Tsuen Sports Centre: 6 Miu Kong St, Tsuen Wan
- Tai Wo Sports Centre: Podium level, Tai Wo Shopping Centre, 12 Tai Wo Rd, Tai Po
- Ground Transportaton Lounge, Hong Kong International Airport: 1 Sky Plaza Rd, Chek Lap Kok
Outdoor ‘mobile specimen collection stations’ have been set up in locations across the city to provide testing services. There are currently four on Hong Kong Island, 11 in Kowloon, and 28 in New Territories. For the most updated information on where these mobile testing stations are, visit the Community Testing Centres website.
The following private medical institutions are approved by the government to conduct RT-PCR testing.
- Canossa Hospital (Caritas) (Mid-Levels): Results before 10pm on the same day for HK$1,320, results within 6 hours for HK$1,650 and up.
- St. Paul’s Hospital, Clinical Pathology Laboratory (Causeway Bay): Contact 2830 3963 or [email protected] for pricing.
- Hong Kong Adventist Hospital – Stubbs Road (Happy Valley): Results after 3 hours for HK$1,000-HK$1,500. Includes health certificate.
- Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital Molecular Pathology Division (Happy Valley): Contact 2835 8602 or [email protected] for pricing.
- Chan & Hou Medical Laboratories Ltd. (Central): HK$600 for results by 3pm the next day, HK$800 for results by 5pm the same day.
- St. Teresa Hospital – Clinical Laboratory (Mong Kok): Contact 2711 9335 or [email protected] for pricing.
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University – Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory (Hung Hom): Contact 3400 8807 or [email protected] for pricing.
- Acecgt Diagnostic Limited (Mong Kok): Compulsory testing and private testing for HK$450, travel testing for HK$880; results by 7pm the next day. For same day results, add HK$300.
- Modern Genomic Services Limited (Cheung Sha Wan): Results within 24 hours for HK$500, same day results for HK$600. You can also order the test kit for delivery and collection for an extra fee.
- Pangenia Lifesciences Limited (Kowloon Bay): Results within 24 hours for HK$800.
- Precious Blood Hospital (Caritas) (Sham Shui Po): Call 3971 9900 / 3971 9974, Whatsapp 6599 8461, email [email protected] for pricing.
- Carelink Bioscience Limited (Tsuen Wan): Results after five hours for HK$3,000.
- CaTAGene Limited (Fo Tan): Results after 24-48 hours for HK$680-HK$1,180.
- CUHK Medical Centre – Department of Pathology (Sha Tin): Contact 3946 6888 or [email protected] for pricing.
- Hong Kong Adventist Hospital – Tsuen Wan: Contact 2275 6166 or [email protected] for pricing.
- Hong Kong Baptist Hospital – Molecular Pathology (Kowloon Tong): Results after two hours for HK$1,500
- Lee’s Pharm Genomics Lab Limited (Sha Tin): Contact 2210 7036 or [email protected] for pricing.
- Sunrise Diagnostic Centre Limited (Tai Po): Contact 2818 9690 or [email protected] for pricing.
- Prenetics (online): Get tests delivered to your home and picked up or self-return to Quarry Bay for HK$390-HK$490.
- KingMed Diagnostics (Hong Kong) Limited (multiple locations): Contact 2919 7222 or [email protected] for pricing.
- Health Hope International Medical Laboratory Limited (multiple locations): Contact 2122 1333 or [email protected] for pricing.
- FZ Public Health Laboratory Company Limited. (multiple locations): Contact 2877 8689 or [email protected] pricing.
- Diagnostix Medical Centre Ltd. (multiple locations): Contact 2885 4686 or [email protected] for pricing.
- Union Hospital Pathology Department (multiple locations): Contact for pricing.
- China Inspection Medical Laboratories Limited (online): Get tests delivered to your home for HK$298-HK$480. Add HK$400 for collection back to the lab. Add HK$120 for results by 7pm on the same day if the sample is delivered back to the lab before 10am.
- Xcelom Limited (online): Get tests delivered to your home for HK$650.
MTR stations, post offices, general outpatient clinics
Free deep throat saliva specimen collection bottles can be taken from vending machines at 20 MTR stations, certain post offices, and certain General Outpatient Clinics of the Hospital Authority. To complete this test, cough deeply, spit into the bottle, and then submit it to designated clinics for processing within two days.
Travellers can book a rapid RT-PCR test at Hong Kong International Airport for HK$499. Results are available within two hours and the resulting negative Covid-19 certificate is accepted anywhere in the world that a PCR test is required for entry. Testing slots can be booked up to two hours to two weeks ahead.
While Test and Fly is designed to help travellers quickly get negative certificates for flying, you don’t have to be travelling to use the service.
💡 More guides & news on the pandemic 💡
Header image credits: golfcphoto via Canva