Hong Kong’s Transport Department has launched a platform to give residents of the city the option of applying for International Driving Permits online. Applicants who use the platform, which launched on September 26, will get their permits within 10 working days, and must pay HK$80.
What do I need to apply for an International Driving Permit online?
Hongkongers who wish to apply for an International Driving Permit online must have:
- A valid Hong Kong Identity Card
- A full Hong Kong driving licence that is still valid, or has not expired for more than three years at the time of application
- An ‘iAM Smart+ account’ with digital signing function or a valid personal digital certificate
- A recent photograph
- An image file of proof of the applicant’s present address issued no later than three months from the date of application
- A credit card or an FPS account
Those who still want to apply for an International Driving Permit in person can continue to do so by making an appointment at a Licensing Office. Hongkongers who prefer to submit their TD51 application forms by post can use the drop-in boxes at the Licensing Offices.
The layout of permits processed online will be slightly different from permits that have been applied for in person or via drop-in boxes. However, all International Driving Permits will be stamped by the Transport Department, and are therefore considered valid.
Header image credits: Hemera Technologies via Canva