Beat the heat this summer at the Smart Pop-Up Playground For 2 at Hung Hom, from July 13-16. The four-day free event will have an array of activities for children aged 3-12, including a five-metre-high water slide, a hard and soft tyre section, and a climbing zone.
What are the main play areas at the pop-up water festival?
There are eight activities that children can participate in as part of the festival:
- Climbing zone: The centrepiece of this section will be a wooden structure which – when combined with rope nets, wooden boards, and rock climbing boards – can be changed to make it more or less challenging, depending on the child’s ability.
- Physical challenge area: Children and parents can use wooden ladders, bridge boards, thick bamboo and other materials in the area, along with ropes and other material, to create their own game structures like small slides, swings, and balance beams.
- Tool experience area: There will be a selection of tools that children can use with adult supervision to come up with their own games and build small gadgets.
- Hard and soft tyre array: Kids can carry and roll a variety of tyres to build structures of different shapes with the aid of velcro and other material.
- Hut-building area: Visitors can make use of the white grid nets, cloth, and other game materials to build different types of structures like castles, cages, tunnels, and small houses. They can even build larger structures using wooden frames.
- Loose material area: Use kitchen utensils, musical instruments, cardboard, and an array of other material to play with or decorate structures in other play areas.
- Running water zone: Children can play with running water and use water pipes, soft air hoses, small buckets, and big droppers to connect several small pools in this zone in their own way.
- Water slide area: The highlight of this section is the five-metre-high water slide that kids and parents can play on, along with materials from other sections of the playground.
There will also be an interactive platform that will give visitors the chance to learn more about the design of the future Hung Hom City Park, as well as the concept and practical operation of the pop-up playground.
How do I attend the pop-up water festival?
Admission is free, but visitors must register online, starting 1pm on July 6, before they attend the festival. Entry will be given on a first-come-first-served basis, and successful registrants will get a confirmation email that they should bring with them to the event.
Is there a limit on the number of visitors?
Each session, which will last between two and three hours, can accommodate a maximum of 30 families. Each family can comprise of no more than two children and one adult.
Do I need to bring anything with me?
All visitors are advised to wear a T-shirt and trousers and bring their own gloves. They should also bring a change of clothes and shoes if they plan to enter play zones with water.
Smart Pop-Up Playground For 2 will be at the vacant lot of the former Hung Hom Ferry Terminal Bus Terminus at the following times:
- July 13-14: 3pm-6pm
- July 15-16: 10am-12pm, 1.30pm-3.30pm, 4pm-6pm
Header image credits: Playright Children’s Play Association via Facebook